Sunday, August 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Malaysia

Just like last year, SMKDJ celebrated National Day.

How?

Noisily. How else?

Below is a list of events that happened during the celebration (forgive me if the order is wrong):

1

The usual 'Negaraku' and the ikrar. Only thing different was the prayers -- done by En. Rosdi. (Random thought: Why aren't the prayers ever done by women?)

2

Speeches. Speeches. Speeches. Zzz. It is at times like these that teachers are most challenged. How can anyone not yawn?

3

I survived the worst (or so I thought so). Then came the sajak. Three teachers, three races -- Ms Loke, Ms Sathya and Cik Norhafiza. I can safely say that we were all pretty much half-deaf by the end of the performance. Ms Loke and Ms Sathya's lafazing was OK, but Cik Norhafiza's was just disturbin horrib powerful, to put it nicely.

4

The fashion show I felt was 'plagiarised' from the one previously held by the library during MPS. But nevertheless, it was funny. And of course, Martin Wong was there.

5

I loved the sketch. LOVED it. It was history, but it was also funny. Hmmm... never thought I would use those 2 words in the same sentence. But then, with Daniel in it, what can go wrong?

6

Eardrum-shattering time. We sang the patriotic songs, each followed by the patriotic screams. The teachers weren't looking too happy about our open show of patriotism, I noticed. I had to agree too. I kept staring at the windows high up, waiting for it to shatter. It didn't. Fortunately for us, neither did Pn Wong's temper. She showed a magnificent display of self-discipline, and I could see her trying to avoid spoiling this celebration with a lecture.

7

En. Shalihin did the all-time-classic 'Merdeka!' shout. We followed him, drowning his voice with our shout. He did it quite a few times, probably trying to keep us from ending this shout with our favourite scream. It didn't work. I covered my ears.


After that, the teachers cut the cake (none for the students), we sang Happy Birthday, and we went back to class to pack up for the day. With patriotic hearts, deafened ears and hoarse voices, we left for home to enjoy the weekend.

What a day.

No comments: